7/01/2012

The Forever After: A House tour

Every time an old home 
and a beautiful one at that is torn down, 
my heart sinks.....

     I can name three dearest best friends from grade school and all are either in the States or in Canada. Thank, God for facebook and Twitter I have managed to stay in touch with all of them. This post is about best friend #1, Leah.....well kinda....

     Leah, her husband and their three kids were in Manila recently and luckily a little meet up was arranged in her brother Alex's house where they were staying. (Balibayans have crazy schedules and itineraries.) Outside my own family, Leah's family were the only 'other'  people I knew as a kid as during her birthdays her parents would take us out and I was even invited to her sister's 18th birthday party.  I appreciated them then as very warm, funny and accommodating people. I always felt right at home when I was with them. 

     It was the same feeling that welcomed me when I entered Alex's renovated Manila home. Alex is Leah's older brother.

     A mid-century modern gem in the heart of the city. I must admit I was envious. Homes like this remind me of my happy childhood...... The house is an interesting mix of mostly old pieces, new ones, good taste and a personal and family history so full of life and love.

   
     I shall leave you alone with some pictures that Alex so kindly allowed me to snap. Alex said he is still working on the kitchen, dining room and some other surprise areas....Honestly I can't wait and I hope to be invited back... I hope to write more lengthily about it next time. Sleepover? Kidding....

  







   The stairs alone is pure joy....





      His home office is what welcomes you upstairs.....





     Bedroom. Look at the lovely Claude Tayag water colors of Santos....



     I absolutely love Alex's collection of miniature iconic chairs.....



   A bright yellow (life-size na) Panton chair in the second floor hallway....



     He also collects bird cages...So lovely!



      I hope there will be more homeowners like Alex who choose to re-create, to pay tribute and to invite into today a beautiful world of not so long ago.
         









    
     

No comments: